Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-up
The literacy and numeracy catch-up premium gives schools additional funding to support Year 7 pupils who did not achieve at least Level 4 in reading or Maths at the end of Key Stage 2 (KS2). At our College, this has been used to:
1. Increase the size of our Learning Mentor Team to enable more students to be supported in lessons and through extraction.
2. Train our Learning Mentors in ‘Precision Instruction’, a widely recognised strategy to support the development of students’ Literacy and Numeracy.
3. Employ Higher Level Teaching Assistants specialising in supporting Numeracy or Literacy.
4. Establish the Learning Café, offering after College homework support and guidance to all students.
5. Support investment in ‘Accelerated Reader’, a programme in which students in Years 7 and 8 partake in half an hour supported or independent reading each day.
6. Support investment in the Suffolk Reading tests and CATs. Data from these can identify the area of need and inform personalised interventions.