Learning Support and Special Educational Needs

1. What does having a Special Educational Need (SEN) mean?

The Code of Practice (January 2015) states that:
A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her. A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:
• has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age; or
• has a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions.
Where a child or young person has a disability or health condition which requires special educational provision to be made, they will be covered by the SEN definition.

2. How does the College identify that a child has a Special Educational Need?

The Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENDCo), Mr Lowcock, and the Transition Coordinator, Mr Swain, will liaise with all primary schools during Year 5 and Year 6 to ensure that information on students is shared effectively, in line with the Local Authority Transition Protocol.

At the start of Year 7, or on entry, the College will undertake relevant assessments of all students to ascertain their ability/difficulties and a profile of their needs. This information will be used alongside data from primary schools to ensure that students who may need additional support with learning are identified. 

Once needs are identified, a graduated response to supporting the student’s need will be initiated. Where relevant, the SENDCo will enlist the services of specialist professionals such as Educational Psychologists and Advisory Teachers.

Details of each student with Special Educational Needs, including the nature of their learning disability, recommended teaching strategies, strengths in learning and history of provision will be available to all teaching staff. All teaching staff, parents and the student will be made aware of this information and informed when any significant changes are made.

It is the responsibility of all staff to liaise with the SENDCo should they have any concerns that a student may have previously unidentified Special Educational Needs. Key staff hold regular support panel meetings to discuss emerging need which may include SEN.

The SENDCo will make arrangements for students in Year 9 and beyond to be assessed for exam access arrangements. These assessments are initiated by teachers observing that a child performs significantly better with access to additional arrangements than if they took a test under standard conditions. 

Please note that a pre-existing condition may not mean a child is automatically entitled to exam access arrangements. Over time children improve their basic skills and access to additional time for tests in primary school may not mean a child will have access to extra time in secondary school.

3. Who are the best people to talk to in this College if I think my child might have a Special Educational Need?

At Eggbuckland Community College we operate a graduated approach to student need. The first point of contact is the Form Tutor. If the concern persists, the Form Tutor will signpost you to the most appropriate person or agency to support you. Within the College this may be the Head of Key Stage in the relevant Curriculum Team, the House Leader (HL), or an Assistant SENDCo.

If there are still concerns that needs are not being met, then staff will contact the SENDCo.

4. Who is the person responsible for children and young people with SEN?

At Eggbuckland Community College the progress of all young people, including those with SEN, is the responsibility of the subject teacher. 

The overview of SEN students’ is the responsibility of the SENDCo, Mr Lowcock, who will monitor, coordinate and evaluate provision of these students.

To speak to or arrange an appointment with Mr Lowcock, please ring 01752 720087 or email awagstaff@eggbuckland.com.
5. What training or specialist expertise do your staff have around SEN?

Eggbuckland places great emphasis on the professional development of all staff. All staff receive a comprehensive induction to working at the College and SEN training is part of this staff development.

The SENDCo works with the Leadership Team to ensure that a range of training opportunities are available to both teaching and support staff throughout the year. This training is adapted to ensure that it addresses the needs of current students.

  • The College employs Lead Support Staff in the following areas:

  • Hearing Support (Teacher of The Deaf)*.

  • Autism and Speech And Language Difficulties (Mentor)

  • Mental Health (Mentor)

    Please note the Teacher of the Deaf is employed in a separate resource base and your child would need both the agreement of the Local Authority and an Educational Health Care Plan for a Hearing Impairment to attend the base.

6. What further external support can the College access to support children with SEN and their families?

For students:
  • Careers South West

  • Educational Psychologis

  • Communication Interaction Team (For Autism and Speech and Language Support)

  • Educational Welfare Officer

  • Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service


  • Occupational Therapist

  • College Counsellor

  • Harbour

  • Speech and Language Therapy Service

  • PALS (For Support With Children With Literacy Difficulties and Other Needs)

  • Plymouth Advisory Team for Sensory Support (Hearing and Visual Impairments)

  • Woodlands Outreach Team (For Physical Impairments)

  • Youth Service

  • Hearing Impairment services

  • ACE – Health and Welfare

  • We also have onsite advice for students with Hearing Impairments via the Hearing Support Centre.

For families:

  • Parent Information Advice and Support for SEND (PIAS) is an independent and impartial organisation who can support parents with:

  • Statutory Assessments, including the new Education Health Care Plan (EHC) process

  • Preparing for and attending meetings

  • Accompanying them on College visits.

  • Helping them to resolve any concerns they have with their child’s College experience.
7. How are parents/ carers and children with SEN supported to share their views and concerns and work alongside the College?

  • All students and parents are encouraged to communicate regularly with the College via phone or email.

  • The SENDCo will ensure that communication is regular.

  • Where appropriate the SENDCo will join House Leaders or other professionals for meetings involving students with SEN.

  • For students with statements/EHC plans, reviews are held regularly and are carried out as person centred planning meetings.

  • Students on the SEN register will have an online pen portrait which can be shared with students and parents.

  • The SENDCo is available for appointments at Parents’ Evenings.

8. Who is the person I should talk to if I have a concern about the support being provided for my child at the College?

  • How can I share my concerns or make a complaint?

  • Subject teacher or form tutor is the first point of contact.

  • The SENDCo can be contacted via phone or email: ilowcock@eggbuckland.com

  • The SEN Governor is Michaela Bottomley who can be contacted via letter through the College.

  • Any formal complaints should be made through the Complaints Procedure as detailed on the College website.

9. Where can I find information about the Local Authority’s Local Offer for children and young people with SEN and their families?

Plymouth City Council website – www.plymouth.gov.uk

10. How does the College support children with SEN and their families when they join or leave the College?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a young person with SEN and take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible.

The Learning Support Team are actively involved in all areas of transition across phases of education, ensuring the support is available for students who require it at key points
in their education.

As the point of transition approaches, your child’s primary school and the College will help you and your child with more detailed planning. 

This includes:
  • contact from the College SENDCo

  • organising appropriate enhanced transition through specialist
    sessions, for those who require it

  • being invited to Year 5 and/or Year 6 annual reviews

As your child approaches transition to post 16 education we can:
  • help children explore their aspirations and look at how different post 16 education options can help them meet their aspirations

  • support your child and your family to explore more specific courses

  • help firm up your child’s plans for post 16 options

  • share information with the next educational provider and support transition visits, where required.

We can also arrange for a similar package to be put in place if your child moves to another secondary school during their time at Eggbuckland Community College. 

In these cases please notify us in advance so we can make appropriate arrangements.
Share by: